Friday, March 07, 2008

Homeschooling in Danger

A lot of you know that Matt and I plan on homeschooling the boys during elementary school. It looks like that might be more complicated than we thought. Here is a forwarded email that I received....
In a stunning, behind closed doors move, the California courts ruled 3 days ago that homeschooling is illegal in the state of California unless the parent is a credentialed teacher. This far reaching ruling came as a result of an action against one family that was homeschooling but apparently neglect or abuse was involved. So, in ruling against this family, the court just wiped out the entire spectrum of rights of California parents to homeschool their children. To learn more about this ruling, please take time to listen to Dr. Dobson and his panel on Friday's radio broadcast of Focus on the Family:

http://listen.family.org/findastation then select recent broadcasts and the one on the California courts decision against homeschooling

This ruling will be fought and God will be our protector and guide throughout the battle. I ask that you please lift up homeschooling families in prayer to God asking for their protection and their continued right to teach their children. I also ask that you sign the online petition on the home page of the Home Schooling Legal Defense Fund (HSLDA) trying to get this ruling depublished (a legal term that means the ruling would apply JUST to this one family, not everyone in California ). The petition can be found at

www.HSLDA.org

You do not need to be a member of HSLDA to sign the petition.

Thank you for your prayers and petitions on this important ruling in California !

1 comments:

Tyler said...

We plan on homeschooling our kids as well, and this ruling just makes us thankful that we left California. That state has been bent on taking away parents rights for a long time. I'm sure this ruling won't stand, but it's absolutely ludicrous nonetheless.